By Joe Bullinger, Missouri Enterprise Project Manager
The Food Safety Modernization Act was signed into law in 2011, with key compliance elements rolling into effect starting in late 2015 and continuing through 2018. The changes are big, moving the emphasis from response to food supply contamination to prevention.
Any company involved in the manufacturing or distribution of food for human or animal consumption is impacted by these compliance changes.
The large manufacturers of human and animal food (500+ employees) were the first who had to achieve FSMA compliance, with the cGMP’s (current Good Manufacturing Processes) and the Hazard Analysis benchmarks for compliance taking effect in 2015 and 2016. So, the large companies should already be in compliance as of now.
Next up on the mandate for FSMA compliance in 2017 are the small manufacturers of human food, (<500 employees and >$1M in annual sales), and the small manufacturers of animal food, (<500 employees and >$2.5M in annual sales).
Small manufacturers of human food need to be in compliance with cGMP’s and Hazard Analysis requirements no later than October, 2017.
Small manufacturers of animal food need to be cGMP’s compliant in 2017, and Hazard Analysis compliant in 2018.
Here are some important questions food manufacturing companies in Missouri need to be asking themselves right now:
- As a small food manufacturer, are you sure you have the knowledge and resources in house to become FSMA compliant?
- Do you need assistance developing a Hazard Analysis protocol?
- Are your cGMP’s documented and adequately signed/approved on a daily/weekly basis?
- Are you verifying and validating your processes properly?
- Do you have everything in place to perform a product recall should a problem suddenly occur?
- Do you have a trained Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) on staff?
Missouri Enterprise has the expertise and experience your company needs to face these and other challenges related to food safety. Contact your local Missouri Enterprise Area Business Manager at 800-956-2682 to learn more.